Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chiang Mai

Right now I'm in Chiang Mai, which is Norhtern Thailand really close to where we did that project (in Chiang Rai). So at this point I've kinda made a full circle around Thailand. I wasn't really planning on coming back up this way but so many people recommended Chiang Mai that I decided to stopover before crossing the border into Laos. Before arriving here in Chiang Mai I was moving around quite a bit and have been looking forward to staying in one place for more than a day.

There's a ton to see and do in Chiang Mai so I've been all over the place the last couple days trying to take it all in. And its been absolutely scorching here! Today got up to 105 F and it stays warm until pretty late so its been tough to sleep (my $4 room doesn't have AC...weird). Hot asphalt and lots of walking means its time for new flippy floppies soon!

There are big elaborate budhist temples within a quarter-mile of anywhere you walk in Chiang Mai. They're all pretty impressive but I've given up on trying to see everyone of them. And honestly, the temples all look pretty similar so I can't really tell them apart anyway. I'll throw in a picture below


Before coming back up to Northern Thailand I stopped off at a couple places that had recommended to me. Leaving Krabi on the south-western coast, I took a 2 hour ferry to Koh Phi Phi which is a group of islands in the Andaman Sea. The scenery here was incredible...but so were the crowds. The huge limestone cliffs and white sand beaches sorta loose their allure when your there with thousands of other toursits. No complaints though, it was a beautiful place (see photo) but I was eager to move on.



Oh! I'll try to add this video of these beach-monkeys (I don't think thats what they're actually called) ....hopefully it works! This was probably my favorite part of Koh Phi Phi



From Phi Phi I took another ferry to Phuket (no...the "h" is silent), an upscale beach-town that felt more like Florida than Thailand. Since I didn't have a ton of time here there's really not much to say about Phuket. Instead of finding a hostel I rented a bamboo bangalow that was right on this huge beach; it seamed like a great idea until it started pouring that night... Anyway, I only stayed here for a night and then caught my flight up to Chaing Mai in the morning.

Well there might be more to elobarate on but I'm gonna call it a night. I figured out how to add photos, it was pretty easy... still took me a couple hours so I'm itching to get off the computer!

I'll be moving on to Laos soon, so I should have more to write about in a few days...

4 comments:

  1. Hey dude! So exciting hearing about your travels...I can't wait to get the stories behind everything when you get home! Jazzy was wonder if you're going to bring a monkey home? Ruthie would prefer you didn't... Safe and fun travels! We're praying for you everyday! Much love, sistah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that you tried to cuddle with the monkeys, probably a bad idea. Sorry to hear that Phi Phi was crowded. Dont forget Kal soy in Northern Thailand! Ask around for it. Have a blast in Lao and keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also noticed that you changed the name of your blog. I think that sounds more correct!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon! Had no idea you were in Thailand....I was gonna suggest we play some guitar when I was up towards Corvallis for the FE exam...but I guess you being on the other side of the world precludes music :)

    Amazing that you are traveling around like that, sounds incredible, wish I had time for such an awesome trip! When you get back we should meet up at least once with Austin before I go down to California, where I just accepted a job. Take care!

    ReplyDelete